Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Web Development Job Search pt.1

Although things are moving along fairly well with my web development freelancing, the amount of business I am getting is not quite consistent enough for me to make plans or grow. So, I have decided to carefully begin looking into taking a job at a company or agency for front end web development. I say "looking into" because I'm kind of funny about jobs...I want to be the right fit at the right place and positoin, and when I am, I usually stay at that spot for a long time. However, this means that my search and application process is different than some folks.

Lots of people make a resume and send it out to anyone and everyone who will accept a submission, hoping that by casting a wide net they'll land in a good spot. I can'y ping pong around life that way, I have to be more precision. So my process involves carefully screening out any positions that are at all questionable regarding my current skill set, and my estimation for what I can learn and adapt to quickly.

Also, my search is actually two-fold.

While I'm keeping an eye open for "the job", I am in a position where I think what may be a better situation at forst is to take "a job."

The Job is a career type position, full time, and will be my primary employment, and possible end or at least severely back burner my web freelancing.

A Job would be a part time 20-25hrs/wk, no heavy responsibility type position that allows me to continue giving my freelance web work equal or more importance in terms of commitment level.

I haven't done this in a while so it will be a process of refreshing and learning as things have changed since the last time I applied for a job back in 2008. Hopefully the process will be fun and educational. I'm lucky that I have my freelancing to help me out while I'm looking for my next move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment